General Richard Montgomery Chapter

Sons of the American Revolution

Montgomery, Alabama

Photos of April 19, 2014.
We first re-dedicated the Encanahata marker.

In 1980, the General Richard Montgomery Chapter dedicated the historical marker of Encanchata in downtown Montgomery.  The sign commemorates the only involvement in the Montgomery area in the American Revolution; namely, that the local Indians were recruited by the British in 1780 to fight against American patriots in Augusta, Georgia.  The marker was moved in 2013 from its original location on Commerce Street to the corner of Water and Commerce Streets.

The Lafayette Historical Marker was erected in 1905 by the Sons of the Revolution on southwest corner of Tallapoosa and Commerce Streets.  it commemorated  the occasion of the Marquis de Lafayette's visit in 1825.  It was removed for the renovation of the Civic Center in 2003 but the chapter tracked its whereabouts until it was re-positioned on the original corner where Freeney's Tavern stood.  That corner is now the site of the present day Renaissance Hotel. 

On April 19, 2012, the chapter re-dedicated both markers on the same day.

The hotel hosts an annual ceremony to commemorate the anniversary of Lafayette's visit by the ringing of a replica of Freeney's Tavern bell.

​​General Richard Montgomery Chapter
Sons of the American Revolution



Lafayette - Encanchata

 Historic Marker Re-Dedication

General Richard Montgomery Chapter - P.O. Box 230995 - Montgomery, AL 36123-0995
Email - grm.sar@gmail.com

(L-R) Brad Sanders, Jack Caraway and local historian Mary Ann Neeley providing comments.

The Chapter Members and Guest marched from the Encanchata marker to the Renaissance Hotel (a few blocks) to re-dedicate the Lafayette marker near the Renaissance Hotel and former location of Freeney's Tavern (c. 1800).

Initial dedication in 1980 of the Encanchata Historic Marker by the General Richard Montgomery Chapter.




Copyright © 2013 - 2019 All Rights Reserved. - General Richard Montgomery Chapter - Montgomery, Alabama

Mayor's Representatives provided  comments. 

The Lafayette marker noting the visit of Marquis de Lafayette to Montgomery on April 4, 1825.

Event Guest and Chapter Members (L-R) Renaissance Hotel General Manager, Walter Stevenson, Ken Mahan, Bruce Buehler, BrucePickette, Rita Pickette, Mary Ann Neeley, Philip Davis (hat), Bill Stone, Stan Phillips and Rosemary Davis.

(L-R) L. Cornwell, R. Wells, T,Smith, B. Sanders and J. Caraway.

Compatriot Charles Bruce Pickette was the primary Chapter member responsible for the events.